• Symmetrical abnormal bone activity is present, particularly in the calvarium, mandible, sternum, and epiphyses of long bones with or without accompanying changes in the vertebrae and pelvis .
Severe cases: appearances are those of a super scan:|
• Increased tracer uptake in axial skeleton.
• Increased tracer uptake in long bones.
• Increased tracer uptake in periarticular areas.
• Faint or absent kidney images .
Extraskeletal metastatic calcification in primary hyperparathyroidism:|
• Increased visceral uptake of technetium-99m-labeled phosphate throughout the lung, liver, stomach .
Extraskeletal anomalies secondary to secondary hyperparathyroidism:|
• Increased diffuse activity in the lungs and the small kidneys.
• Increased muscle activity (diffuse and bilaterally in the vast and adductor of both thighs, and in the abdominal muscles) .